Monday, May 03, 2010

Warmachine Mk II / Protectorate: the Awesome and the Meh

First off I want to say one thing I love about mk II: the point system.  By removing the GW-ish high point cost for units, I can pretty much make army lists in my head on the fly.  Forget 19 point and 21 point and 26 point solos.  Now they are all 2 points.  I can easily remember warjack point values as well.  Thank you, thank you PP.

Now, onto Forces of Warmachine: the Protectorate of Menoth

In the eternal battle between wargaming and my wallet, wargaming has reliably won. Sure, I face buyer's remorse at regular intervals but most of the time I'm pretty happy with my purchases.  This book makes me feel like I should have listened to my wallet. Don't get me wrong... I adore my PoM army and I have praise for the mk II ruleset, but this latest book, at a fairly steep $35, seemed like I was buying "Menoth's Greatest Hits" more than a new book.

Allow me to explain...

One of the things I love most about new books is new artwork.  Almost all the artwork for FoW:tPoM is artwork I have elsewhere, even if you don't count artwork included in No Quarter.  It's great artwork, but I've already bought Prime, Escalation, Apotheosis, Superiority, Prime:Remix, Legends and Prime Mk II.  That's almost as many books for my single army of WM as I've bought for all my Warhammer Fantasy and 40k armies combined.  I know recycled artwork is common practice in this industry as you get more and more editions under your belt, but I guess my expectation levels were artificially high because of how great all the other books have been.  If I'd taken a good hard look at the book before buying it, I would probably have only bought the Protectorate card deck.


EDIT!!!  Just got my Exemplar Bastions and Crusader/Vindicator/Templar in the mail!  Wow!  The Bastions might  be difficult to convert because of the peg/hole assemble, but they are soooo easy to put together.  No more glue and hold with the model exploding in your hand multiple times.  Plus, $35 for a unit of 5 is a breath of fresh air next to what Man-o-wars cost.  You can bet I'll be buying Cinerators! 

1 comment:

  1. Im with you man, Im just getting back into warmachine and im loving all of the small changes they have made. Most of all as you have stated is the awesome artwork and much improved graphic design of the books. Although i prefer metal miniatures - i have to say i like the redesigns of the Jacks and then PP moving into the plastic realm is a good thing. Love your blog mate keep up the good work.

    Mark
    :)

    ReplyDelete

I had to add anti-spam measures because, let's face it, almost nobody comments on blogs anymore unless they are spamming. Sorry.