Wednesday, July 18, 2007

If You're Gonna Be An Idiot....

...you might as well be one for a stupid reason.

I'm sure by now you've read about the couple who neglected their two children because they were so obsessed with playing online video games. When I first read the AP story, which indicated that the couple was mainly playing a "Dungeons and Dragons" game, I thought surely they must mean World of Warcraft. Sure there's "Dungeons and Dragons Online" (DDO) but who could neglect their children over DDO?!? A couple of us at work tried out DDO, and just couldn't muster much interest in it after a couple days, despite the fact that it was created by Turbine Games (the same company that made Asheron's Call, which consumed years of our gaming lives.) Neglecting your kids over DDO would be like starving to death because you can't tear yourself away from C-SPAN. Eventually I found this story that confirms that it was in fact DDO that the couple were playing. Yikes.

1 comment:

  1. Funny, that's what I was wondering. I'd never heard of DDDO, and I wondered if, as usual, the media were displaying spectacular cluelessness about the world of geeks.

    Hopefully the kids will find a better home with parents who know when to put down the mouse and pick up a PBJ and "The Paper Bag Princess".

    ReplyDelete

I had to add anti-spam measures because, let's face it, almost nobody comments on blogs anymore unless they are spamming. Sorry.