Saturday, June 17, 2006

How not to freehand "ULTRA"

I've decided to post a number of WIP pics for this fellow. The highlights on the blue are working out alright. (Are they? Any CMON'ers who wander in here, can you even see them?) I have no excuses for the poor execution of the word "ULTRA" across the front of the mini. While inscribing "ULTRA" across ones chest may seen odd (read: stupid) it is a fairly common sight with this chapter, and since I plan on selling this one I might as well stick to canon. Rest assured, the little banner was back to being solid color by the time I put the paints away. I'll try again with the micron pens tomorrow.

I think of Ultramarines as the more "in the trenches" basic soldier than some of the other chapters, so this fellow is getting battle damage. The scratch marks above the eyes worked out well, if I do say so myself. I am resolved to merely simulate damage with paint, but have been told by a couple people to just gouge up the mini and paint the gouges. I just can't bring myself to do that, so all depth in the gouges is purely illusion.











I found out today that my younger brother carves things from wood. I would love to try and paint something he carved, but the amount of work that goes into the carving makes the painting high pressure.

Side note... this brother, John, had gastric bypass surgery 18 months ago or so. I almost didn't recognize him today at my parents' house. I don't see him that much, since he lives in the Soo, but the change is remarkable. I am apparently now the fat one in the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I had to add anti-spam measures because, let's face it, almost nobody comments on blogs anymore unless they are spamming. Sorry.